Monday, March 23, 2009

Mom Mondays - The reason I keep my VCR

So I happened to catch Clueless on tv the other day and as I sat there reciting all the lines under my breath I couldn't help but think about how many hours my friends and I spent watching the same movies over and over and over again when we were in high school. Since my 30th birthday is just around the corner, I thought I'd indulge in a little nostalga and discuss my favorite movies from my high school days.

Clueless
As a Catholic school girl stuck in a uniform all week, I longed for Cher's super cute outfits and closet full of designer clothes. Add in a great soundtrack and an adorable Paul Rudd and you've got the perfect high school chick flick.
Favorite Quote: Tai: Do you think she's pretty? Cher: No, she's a full-on Monet. Tai: What's a Monet? Cher: It's like a painting, see? From far away, it's OK, but up close, it's a big old mess.

The Molly Ringwald Trifecta (Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink & Sixteen Candles)
Is it bad that I cannot remember how to calculate the circumference of a circle, but have no trouble recalling the names of all of Molly Ringwald's love interests (John Bender, Blane McDonnagh & my personal fav Jake Ryan)? Even though they were made in the 80s, all 3 still rang true in the 90s and I loved that Molly Ringwald looked like a regular girl instead of a movie star.

Favorite Quote:Dear Mr. Vernon, we accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was we did wrong. But we think you're crazy to make an essay telling you who we think we are. You see us as you want to see us... In the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain and an athlete and a basket case and a princess and a criminal. Does that answer your question? Sincerely yours, The Breakfast Club

Father of the Bride

I'm always a sucker for movies about fathers and daughters and for ones w/voice overs, so of course this is remains one of my favorites of all time. Additionally, I am still not entirely convinced this movie was not based on my father...he is very George Banks-like.

Favorite Quote:Who presents this woman? This woman? But she's not a woman. She's just a kid. And she's leaving us. I realized at that moment that I was never going to come home again and see Annie at the top of the stairs. Never going to see her again at our breakfast table in her nightgown and socks. I suddenly realized what was happening. Annie was all grown up and was leaving us, and something inside began to hurt.

Reality Bites

Complaint rock, the Gap, Lisa Loeb, AIDs testing, slackers, psychic 900 numbers...is there a movie that better captures Generation X than this one? Ethan Hawke's character Troy had that whole "I'm a serious muscian who refuses to conform to society's expectations of me", which in retrospect is so annoying, but at the time I thought Troy was "deep" and "intellectual" and exactly the kind of boy I would meet and fall madly in love w/once I got to college. Plus, I don't care how much of a cliche it is, I always love the "I'm secretly in love w/my best friend" storylines.

Favorite Quote: Lelaina: I was really going to be somebody by the time I was 23. Troy: Honey, all you have to be by the time you're 23, is yourself. Lelaina: I don't know who that is anymore. Troy: I do. And we all love her. I love her. She breaks my heart again and again. But I love her.

When Harry Met Sally
Speaking of "I'm secretly in love w/my best friend" storylines...I still love this movie! Even if you are not a fan of romantic comedies, you have to admit that any movie that can make Billy Crystal sexy has got to be pretty good. This is also Meg Ryan at her sweet, adorable best (pre-face lift, lip injections and "I want to be a serious actress") and she definitely should have received an oscar for that "faking it" in the deli scene.

Favorite Quote: I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.

Top Gun
I know this movie came out in the 80s, but I wasn't allowed to watch it until I was in junior high, so it seems like a 90s movie to me. I was never the kind of teenager who developed crushes on movie stars, but I had it bad for 1985 Top Gun Tom Cruise. It's not my fault though, who can resist a man in uniform?

No favorite quote (can't pick just one), but please enjoy:

4 comments:

Kathy and Pat said...

Ha - you were totally obsessed with all these movies (don't worry, I was right there with ya)! Especially Reality Bites! God bless the Top Gun volleyball scene... never gets old. Ever.

Rach@In His Hands said...

Fun!!! Love Father of the Bride....one of my all-time favorites.

Marian said...

Hi, I stumbled across your blog and whew all those movies bring back so many memories!!! How fun~and I agree with Kathy and Pat~who doesn't love that Top Gun volleyball scene!!! I look forward to reading more! Stop by anytime for a visit!

Anonymous said...

Great list!!! Mine would look similar.Ahhhh-Tom Cruise in the top gun days- makes me smile!