Monday, March 16, 2009

Mom Mondays - Never say never

I've never been one of those people who feels the need to stay on top of technology. I mean, every time I learn how to use something, some new, better "this will change your life!" gadget comes out and I have to start all over again. As someone who distests instruction manuals of any kind, its just such a burden trying to stay on the "cutting edge" that I usually do not bother until it becomes absolutely necessary. Well, this weekend, I came to the realization that some technology updates had reached the absolute necessity level and I grudgingly accepted I was going to have to do not one, but two things I swore I'd never do....

First, I finally caved and signed up for Facebook. I know all you facebook users are saying "Why have you waited so long?!?! By tomorrow you're going to be addicted!". I will admit the only reason I signed up is that my curiosity over what has become of my former classmates and co-workers has finally gotten the best of me and it is fun to add friends and search for people. However, I'm not quite sure what I am supposed to do once I've found everyone I know. Chris tells me I will add pictures to my wall, update my status and tackle or tag people or something, but I'm really not sure how any of that works. Do I want to be tackled? Apparently I do.

If signing up for Facebook wasn't enough for me to deal with, I also bought an iPod this weekend. Honestly, had all of my music not been lost when our computer crashed back in January, I would still be happily downloading songs from walmart.com and burning them onto CDs, but life does not always work out the way you plan. I'm sure once Chris gives me a tutorial, I'll love it and I must admit it will be nice to just bring my iPod in the car instead of burning CDs. However, I am concerned about the iPod slippery-slope most users seem to fall victim to, spending hours downloading the 35,000 songs my iPod can store, and facing millions of instruction manuals for all the attachments and accessories those geniuses at Apple have convinced iPod owners we cannot live without.

If any of my fellow technology resisters out there feel like they are losing a member, do not dispair. I still adamently refuse to:

  • Get a DVR
  • Buy an iPhone
  • Learn how to download ringtones
  • Sign up for Twitter, linkedup or MySpace
  • Set up online bill pay

But never say never....

6 comments:

Jen said...

I've been on facebook for a couple of months now... but I still don't have an ipod. I bought a DVR at Christmas time to record the once-a-year tv classics, but couldn't figure it out in time. Now it's sitting there waiting for my younger sisters to come and show my how to use it. I feel so old!!!

Kathy and Pat said...

I sensed you were about to cave on the Facebook situation (sigh)... it was only a matter of time!

BTW, it's LinkedIn... not LinkedUp. Gotta know the lingo now that you've stepped up to the next level. ;)

Kara said...

You're too funny. I feel the same way about technology, but I do love my DVR...You never know my FB friend!

Celeste and Tom said...

I am on facebook but only joined to see pictures from my class reunion. I do like catching up but find there is not enough time to do things anymore so I only haphazardly catch up & find I am also behind on the Yahoo group emails. I do not have an Ipod but if you watch any TV, the DVR is the best so you can zoom through commercials and never forget to record your TV shows. We just use the DVR through the satellite.

Anonymous said...

I also hate technology!! love, leslie

Anonymous said...

Refuse to do online billpay? I can't remember the last time I wrote a check.