Friday, August 6, 2010

Too Soon to Laugh

I just hung up the phone with the sound of Chris's laughter ringing in my ears. My reaction to the news I'd shared with him was somewhat less enthusiastic.

On the heels of their newly won privilege to play upstairs by themselves, our charming, delightful, creative "big boys" decided they no longer require my assistance to change Aidan's dirty pull-up. Clued into the fact that mischief was being made by the sound of giggles of the "I can't believe we're doing this" variety, I went upstairs to discover my children had taken off Aidan's pull-up, emptying no less than half its content onto the floor of my bathroom and were using the knife from their kitchen set and a plastic bat to scoop it up and throw it in the general vicinity of the toilet. Following my shriek of horror, Andy glanced up mid-scoop and said innocently "What Mom? Poop goes in the potty." As I entered to further examine the scene of the crime, I slipped on the dirty toilet water covering the floor and nearly fell on my face. It was then, when Aidan reached out his hand and said "Careful Mama!", that I saw the poop stuck to his fingers.

The next moments were a blur, I think my brain is already trying to block the details from my memory, but I somehow got the kids, bathroom and myself cleaned up just as Chris was calling to tell me he was headed home.

Of course he thought the story was hilarious. He's not the one that had to clean it up.

13 comments:

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

Oooo.... Definitely too soon to laugh!! Ugh. I'm so, so sorry!

Elizabeth Frick said...

Oh my. I'm so very sorry, as we've been steeped in poop ourselves around here lately. But from an innocent bystander's POV, it's hilarious. I had to relay it to my DH. I think it's your wonderful story-telling that makes it so fabulous. Yes... that's it :)

JoJo said...

Oh boy! And based on your indoor playground experience last year, this sounds even worse.
Have a glass of wine and take a shower!

Kathy and Pat said...

Oh wow - that is gross (and funny)!

Celeste and Tom said...

At least they were:
1. Trying to help.
2. Showing creativity.
3. Concerned for your safety..
4. Not afraid of germs?

Hopefully someday you can laugh about this or embarass your sons someday. I agree about the wine.(you might also deserve a pedicure and manicure...)

IP Journey said...

Oh no! Reminds me of when my Timothy was going through potty training (http://parkfamily5.com/2010/04/14/the-poo-poo-deception/(

Hang in there!

Rach@In His Hands said...

Completely gross and because I didn't have to clean it up...definitely hilarious!

Christine said...

Oh, no! That's one of those stories I hear and think, "I hope that never happens in my house!" Wishful thinking on my part. :)

Birdie said...

So sorry, and I held in my laughter ...until...the extension of the hand offering help and your discovery of what was on the hand. I agree, your story-telling of this moment is spot on, I'm glad you have it preserved in writing:)

Anonymous said...

Love it!!

leslie

Rita and Chris said...

Oh noooooo, Kristen!!! How awful...but your way of telling the story just brought out the comedy of errors of the situation! I think I would be trying to blank the whole episode out as well. I agree with the suggestion of a glass of wine (or two!).

Erin said...

Oooooooooooooh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I think I might actually be grateful that one of my kids--you can guess which one!--gags or vomits pretty much every time he sees poop (which is kind of obnoxious, given how it's a requirement of life and all...)!

Kara said...

Okay...that is both hilarious and digusting. It's amazing the trouble that two little boys can get themselves into!