Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Today I had "that" kid

You know "that" kid...the one who yells something really inappropriate in a public place, causing all heads to turn to stare at the child's mother...well, today I had "that" kid.

Aidan has been having some stomach issues the past few days. Today we were waiting in line to pay for our stuff at the grocery store and Aidan was sitting in the front of the cart and Andy was sitting in the back (okay, fine, he was standing...that's right, I let him stand up in the cart when we are waiting to pay). Andy was getting bored and started touching Aidan's head, which led to the following conversation:

Me: "Andy, you're bothering Aidan, stop touching his head, okay? You need to be nice to Aidan".
Andy: "Okay Mama"
Me (in my head): Wow, I am an awesome mom, he is such a good listener!
Andy: "Aidan my brother"
Me: "that's right"
Andy: "Aidan a baby"
Me: "Yes he is"
Andy: "Aidan silly"
Me: "very silly"
short break while Andy tries to grab the little divider stick thing between our stuff and the person's in front of us
Andy (getting really sick of waiting and getting louder): "Mama, Home!!!!"
Me: "I know, its a long wait. We're going home."
Andy (back on his everything about Aidan kick): "Aidan sick"
Me: "Aidan's belly hurts"
Andy (in the loudest voice I've ever heard him use): "Aidan has messy poo-poo! Aidan has messy poo-poo!"
Me (dying of embarassment): "SHHHHH Andy! Let's not talk about Aidan anymore, let's sing a song"

Apparently, Andy is a good listener, I made that messy poo-poo comment hours before we went to the store :)

7 comments:

Jen said...

Out of the mouths of babes...

They sure do pick up a lot of information when we think they aren't listening!

Anonymous said...

I love your stories!! You should be a writer, I'm serious!

leslie

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh! We've all had a that kid day! Hope Aiden feels better soon! Ella has the messy poo-poo thing going on too! Fun times!

Rach@In His Hands said...

Ha! Andy is too cute.

How about the letter S!

Katie W. said...

The little kids are the ones with the big ears! They pick up on everything we say and are eager to repeat it. Just wait until Aiden gets a little older and they can get a "poo poo poo poo poo" chorus going for you in public!

Kathy and Pat said...

Ha! I'll be the people behind you were dying laughing (or scared that Aidan really did have messy poo poo). I like the "let's sing a song" tactic though - very clever save there, Mom!

Jill said...

That is so funny! Of course, it is easy for me to say, not being the Mama in this story, but I've been there before!

Great story!