Friday, August 22, 2008

"What's going on with Aidan?"

We are getting this question alot!

I know I haven't posted any updates on his adoption process since our 1st posts about his referral. Unfortunately we have no new updates to write about and each week I keep thinking "oh, next week I'm sure I'll have some news to report!".

The 1st step after accepting a referral is to wait for the caseworkers in Korea to gather a bunch of paperwork, such as Aidan's birth certificate, known as the "legals". Usually it takes 4-6 weeks for the legals to arrive and we are at 6 weeks and 1 day. I checked in with our agency this week and they told me Korea said they'd be sending them "soon", though its unclear whether "soon" means a few days or few weeks. So we are doing the hardest part of the adoption process...waiting.

I like to think I learned something during Andy's adoption about patience and accepting things I cannot control and am currently taking the philosophical high road by telling myself things like "Maybe Aidan's process is going to take a bit longer b/c Andy needs more time alone with me." Of course, deep down I still tend toward the obsessive and neurotic, so at least 3 times a week I play the "if we get legals next week and step 2 takes 4 weeks and step 3 takes 5 weeks, etc....Aidan will be home by..." game. If you are interested, my latest calculation has him home Dec. 15th :)

So that is the Aidan update...or non-update I guess...we will let everyone know when we finally complete step 1.

3 comments:

Jen said...

"The best things come to those that wait"... and wait... and wait!

I hope that you hear good news soon.

Anonymous said...

Praying for the next step to happen really soon!!!! love ya, leslie

Kelli Kristine said...

I haven't met the patient Kristen yet - maybe I will finally get the chance when I make a trip home from MN this fall! :] On a serious note, thanks for the update - keeping my fingers crossed.