Friday, April 10, 2009

Favorite Foto Friday - Amazing

After putting Aidan to sleep tonight, I came downstairs to find this going on in our kitchen:


As I walked in , I could hear Chris telling Andy "Okay, help me pour the breadcrumbs into the bowl...great job...now help me mix them up." I could tell just from the way he was holding the spoon so carefully and listening so intently to Chris's instructions that Andy felt so special and proud to be helping Chris cook the meal we make every Friday during Lent (baked mac & cheese).


When he saw me, Andy looked up and exclaimed "I cook Mommy!".


I swear, the sweetness of it all was enough to break my heart. The big moments are great - the birthdays, the vacations, the holiday celebrations - but its the little moments, the everyday stuff, when the amazing gift I have been given sneaks up on me. I have one little baby, curled up w/his favorite blanket, sucking his thumb, sleeping soundly in his bed. I have another little boy, who is not such a baby anymore, helping cook our regular Friday night meal. We have a regular Friday night meal! A special family tradition that Chris & I used to make by ourselves that we now make w/Andy and one day we will make with them both. I have a family...I have everything I've always wanted. How amazing is that?

3 comments:

Jen said...

Amazing... and wonderful!

Laurie said...

Aaaah that's so sweet. What a wonderful and patient daddy! :)

Anonymous said...

thanks for making me cry! It sounds like a "Wonder Years" moment! leslie