Wednesday, December 31, 2008

For Auld Lang Syne...

I have no idea what it means, but I love that song...it has that perfect bittersweet "remember when..." feeling and is always accompanied by a glass of champagne :)

What a year its been for us! Last year at this time Andy had just learned to walk & I count the number of words he could pronounce on one hand. We were two months into our wait for a referral from Korea and we were hoping that by the end of 2008 we'd be matched w/a baby. Never did we imagine that on this NYE Aidan would be upstairs sleeping in Andy's old room rather than half a world away.

Resolutions never really work out for me (too much pressure), but I my 2009 To Do List includes:

1. Enjoying our family...we've spent the last 4 years worrying about fertility issues and 2 adoption processes. I don't know if we will add more children to our family in the years to come, but for this year, I just want to enjoy the two little boys we have.

2. I don't like the word "diet", so I think I will refer to my exercise and meal plan as a healthy lifestyle renovation. Yes, that makes me think much more of brisk walks w/the children and learning wonderful new recipes and less of carrot sticks, lowfat mayo and the endless monotony of hours on the treadmill.

3. End laundry procrastination...of all the household chores, laundry is the most dreaded. All the sorting and folding and ironing...yuck, I'm exhausted just thinking of it. Which is why I let the laundry pile up until everyone is running out of socks and underwear and I end up riffling through the kids' laundry baskets looking for any pair of pants that aren't obviously stained. This year, I'm going to come up w/a laundry strategy (designate one laundry day per week? do one load each day? hire a laundry person to take care of it? if you have any advice, please share...especially if you know of a laundry person who will work for hugs). Starting tomorrow, I vow never to substitute fabreeze for machine washing clothes again!

4. Learn the words to Auld Lang Syne...and I should probably find out what "auld lang syne" actually means while I'm at it. Of course, I have a lot on my To Do List, so maybe I should save that one for 2010.

Happy New Year!!!

1 comment:

Kara said...

Ha! If you do find a laundry fairy, could you please share their number? Ironically enough, I am supposed to be folding laundry right now, but am procrastinating on the computer!