Monday, May 17, 2010

Pitter-Patter

Today we got an envelope w/a letter & a pair of socks from one of the boy's birth moms.

It got me thinking how easily I can close my eyes and hear the pitter-patter of his little feet in the hall as he chases after his brother or tries to tip-toe away to do something he's not supposed to. It made me think of how he can almost reach the pedals on his big boy bike and how he taps his feet to the beat when we are listening to a song he likes in the car.

Then I pictured his birth mom, standing in the accessories aisle of a baby store or at a booth in a crowded street market, looking at rows and rows of little boy socks, unsure of which pair to buy b/c she doesn't even know what size shoe he wears. The enormity of what she has lost hits me like a ton of bricks.

I can grab his adorable, pudgy, stinky little boy feet and kiss them any time I want and she doesn't even know what size shoe he wears.

No matter how many letters and pictures I send, it will never be enough to thank her for the sacrifice she made to give him a better life. I just hope it gives her some peace.

5 comments:

Christine said...

Oh my goodness! What a sweet, special gift for her to send. And what a realization of her loss for you. You described it perfectly.

Elizabeth Frick said...

Wow. You've definitely touched me with this post tonight. Thank you! What a gift.

Jessica J said...

That was a touching post, made me smile and tear up at the same time.

JoJo said...

I'm glad you got the package. It's funny how 'ordinary' life, like shopping for a pair of socks, or riding a tricycle bring up so many deep profound emotions.

Jen said...

How true!